Clothing Organization Ideas: Why I’m Obsessed With Folding My Clothes Vertically

   
Since reading The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizingby Marie Kondo, I’ve become a bit obsessed with organizing my apartment. In the past week, I’ve de-cluttered kitchen cabinets, tossed piles of paper and gotten rid of a really shocking number of wire hangers. But the big project on my to-do list was my closet and dresser.
It wasn’t that I had tons of clothes to get rid of (I regularly send bags to the online consignment shop thredUP), but I couldn’t wait to try Kondo’s storage strategies for clothes. “The goal should be to organize the contents [of your closet or drawers] so that you can see where every item is at a glance, just as you can see the spines of the books on your bookshelf,” Kondo writes. “The key is to store things standing up rather than laid flat.”
I was initially skeptical about this method, but after trying it, I can say with confidence that I’ll never go back to folding my clothes horizontally. For one thing, it just looks nicer. I can see all my clothes at once (this makes coming up with an outfit in the morning much easier) and folding them in this way keeps the fabric smooth.
Plus, it feels like I own more clothes, even though I’m storing them more efficiently. When my tops and pants were folded horizontally, I tended to favor items on the top of the pile while forgetting about those on the bottom. There was also the pesky problem of shirts getting squeezed behind a drawer when it was packed too tightly. (I’m convinced there’s a black hole behind my dresser drawers where all my missing T-shirts are hiding.)

To fold clothes vertically…
Start by folding the item in half lengthwise once, then repeat as necessary until it’s the correct height for the depth of our drawer. Kondo stresses the important of applying pressure to clothes as you’re folding them, since this will prevent items from wrinkling and make them easier to store. For sweaters and t-shirts, fold the sleeves behind the shirt so you’re left with a long rectangle before folding in half. (h/t Oprah)
How 'neat' is this? This is @GayleKing 's closet. What lovely things a professional organizer can do for a celebrity...o.k. for ANYONE!How 'neat' is this? This is @GayleKing 's closet. What lovely things a professional organizer can do for a celebrity...o.k. for ANYONE!540107Margarita Ibbott ~ @DownshiftingPROMargarita Ibbott ~ @DownshiftingPROOrganizing ideas group board

After you’ve folded your clothes, place them in the drawer so they fit snugly. Ideally, clothing should be a little shorter than the drawer so it can open and close easily. My dresser drawers are fairly shallow, so I fold my pants in half three times for them to fit. (h/t She Wears She Shares)
I've been looking for a better way to store my jeans...have to give this method a try.I've been looking for a better way to store my jeans...have to give this method a try.47070AlliAlliAKat's Korner: Vanity & Closet

Socks, bras and underwear can be more of a challenge. Fold stockings and underwear vertically by folding them in half as you would a pair of pants—you’ll just need to make more folds for stockings and fewer for underwear. I like this idea of cutting shoeboxes in half to create separate compartments for them, too. (h/t Real Simple)
How to Make DIY Drawer Dividers | Time for your lingerie drawer to step into line. Cut shoe boxes in half, along the length or width, and fill the resulting compartments with folded briefs, socks, or stacked bras.How to Make DIY Drawer Dividers | Time for your lingerie drawer to step into line. Cut shoe boxes in half, along the length or width, and fill the resulting compartments with folded briefs, socks, or stacked bras.1194142Tammy Griffith, CPC, CRCTammy Griffith, CPC, CRChome + space organization

What do you think of this method? How do you organize your clothes?

  1. antonia
    January 27, 2015
    I fold my clothing in the same way, with one major difference!!! After folding,I roll them, this takes up less space, and…amen I take something out to wear it, it is wrinkle free!!! (I pack then in my suitcase the same way, and get tons more room! And again,wrinkle free!!!) A trick I learned from my Mom, many years ago!!!!

Leave a Comment

Gravatar